Monday, March 23, 2009

Will you adopt me?

So, as my recent posts are indicating, I'm getting more and more involved in my new(ish) job working with foster kids. I met a girl that responds to my approach very well and who's energy is a lot of fun to try and keep up with. She is easy to get along with, cooperative, accepts limits, and loves fun activities. As I was driving to drop her off, when she turned to me from out of nowhere and without hesitation asked, "Will you adopt me?"

It was touching. Sweet. Something I had previously not run into in my seven years of working with underpriveleged populations. I mean, holy crap, 'will you adopt me'?!

I very calmly and kindly replied with a big smile, that 'no, but I would be happy to continue to be her Case Aide twice a week'. She didn't really respond, but didn't seem crushed either. My guess is I'm not the first person she's asked that question to. She went back to focusing on finding a good song on the radio. I thought about explaining for a moment, the reasons our relationship works as it is because of my current role in her life and the boundaries that pertain to it, but I decided not to and I directed the conversation to things more immediate and in the moment like the traffic, the music, the rain. I reviewed some of the things I had praised her for earlier during our session. We ended on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment